Chocolate is the first luxury. It has so many things wrapped up in it: deliciousness in the moment, childhood memories, and that grin-inducing feeling of getting a reward for being good.
Chocolate really is so many things wrapped up in one isn’t it? If you are a chocolate lover, you will know that i does make everything ok. At the very least it helps when you dealing with life’s little challenges.
I am all about dark chocolate, the Lindt Salted Caramel flavour is my ultimate indulgence. I do appreciate the good old marshmallow Easter egg as well though. Life is all about balance isn’t it. I do prefer using dark chocolate when i bake thought, it definitely has a richer flavour than regular milk chocolate.
Easter is around the corner and it is the perfect time to bake everything with added chocolate. Easter celebrations also mean time with family and friends, which mean entertaining or taking along a dish of some kind. If you are keen on trying a new recipe, why not give these Easter buns with chocolate sauce a try. They are filled with cream cheese and smothered with chocolate sauce, making them a delicious, indulgent dessert that is guaranteed to impress.
You could make the buns the day before your event and add the filling just before your guests arrive, saving you some time on the day. If you are baking for large crowd, make these a little smaller and add some seasonal fruit kebabs or Lindt balls to your spread.
I am pretty sure anything covered with chocolate sauce is going to be amazing,right?
JENNY MORRIS’S FILLED EASTER BUNS WITH CHOCOLATE SAUCE
- 110 g SASKO CAKE WHEAT FLOUR
- 175 ml water
- 75 g butter – cubed
- Salt – a pinch
- 3 eggs
- 200 g dark chocolate – finely chopped
Cream cheese mixture
- Zest of 1 orange – finely grated
- Honey – to taste
- 150 g cream cheese
- 100 g mascarpone
- Icing sugar for dusting
- 50 g flaked almonds
- Fresh strawberries or seasonal fruits
- Preheat the oven to 200 C
- Sift the flour.
- Pour the water into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Add the butter and a pinch of salt to the hot water.
- Once the butter has melted, add all the flour and stir until the flour is incorporated and starts to pull away from the sides of the saucepan as one ball.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow to cool.
- Now beat the eggs in one at a time with an electric whisk until it is smooth and glossy.
- Drop 8 mounds of dough onto a silicone-covered baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until well risen and golden.
- Prick buns with a skewer to let the steam escape.
- 10. Turn the oven off and return the buns to dry out.
- Melt the chocolate pieces in a glass bowl over a saucepan filled with boiling water (don’t let the base of the bowl touch the water).
- Leave it to one side until you serve.
Cream cheese mixture
- Zest the orange into a bowl.
- Add the honey and cream cheese and mix together.
- Mash the mascarpone into the mixture.
To assemble and serve
- Split the pastry delights in half.
- Dip the top halves in the chocolate sauce.
- Spread cream cheese mixture onto the bottom halves.
- Put the tops back on the bottom halves.
- Dust with icing sugars
- Sprinkle with some almonds.
- Add some fresh strawberries or seasonal berries to the plate and serve.